Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChandlers BMW Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 11:53
 Tend to agree with a good Sevice Guide, with a disclaimer .If a newspaper prints a Restaurant Good food guide, and one has a meal there, and gets food poisoning, i dont think you would win a case against the paper.When you have a recommendation list, its only as good from the person who received the service on a particular day.So what do you do, if the next person to use the service, feels agrieved-take away the spanners?.An approved BMW dealer has to provide an acceptable service, under their Contract , with GB.If a number of complaints are made to GB, the matter will be looked into, and you will get a reply and action if the complaint is justified.Many owners do Not go see the Customer Service Manager, to ask the reasons.This is important so you have All the info, if needed to take the matter further.With 1.4 Million cars to be Sold each year, BMW need all the sales they can get, right down to the 2-3-4+ hand used cars, without them , No New sales.Wherever the service is poor, Complain.
SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

senny View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 09:14
HEY THIS IS MENT TO BE ABOUT ME. DONT MAKE ME CHUCK A WOBBLEY!

lol
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 22:47

I know what to do. As ****** is an anagram of Newark, how about...............

Edited to remove objectionable language, please read the forum guidelines

Edited by Nigel
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 23:38

hey senny

chandlers are a funny bunch of people , sometimes you can go in there and the staff will be enthusiastic and REALLY helpfull , other times they can be downright rude and sarcastic . chandlers angmering are probably worse than brighton !!

as far as the whole liable thing is concerned i think we need to be carefull as a club !!   if  any negative comments are posted on here are proved untrue , the person on the receiving end of the could blame the club , and sue , not to mention the bad reputation for us !!

if however you can prove 110% that your statement is true , i dont think there is anything a body can do in legal terms !!

senny , when you get your springs off and find they are totally fine , post up some pics so we can all see  . Maybee then the mods on here could find there way to providing the "good dealer - bad stealer " forum or sticky ,  and make it one of those things that can only be posted on after mods have cast there eyes over each negative post ?????

£ook me , i just come over all sensible ,  "pipe n slippers anybody?"

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 23:50
Your always sensible daddy cool lol
Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 23:59
Thats just the point, If its on a Recommend list its up to each person to decide for themself.If its NOT on the list --WHY ???. So the Good get the biz, and the others get the Questions??No Writs for the Club, just Service !!.
SAFETYFAST
///M5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 00:02
While the arguement rages about whether the club should/should not allow this, can I recommend the following web page:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/garages.html
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 00:12

Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

Thats just the point, If its on a Recommend list its up to each person to decide for themself.If its NOT on the list --WHY ???. So the Good get the biz, and the others get the Questions??No Writs for the Club, just Service !!.

I remember suggesting this several months ago, and you, Killian,Duncan and I had a brief chat about it.

At the time you,  Killian, and Ducan were against it, purely because of the legal issues, although you all thought it was a good idea.

If thats changed, then lets look at it again.

Best Wishes

Nigel

bodgit09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 05:39

Have to say when I saw this thread and read Chandlers I was surprised. When I lived in Munich I bought an old 325i cabrio automatic and drove it to the UK for fun. On the way, brake pad light came up. Chandlers outside Eastbourne, took car straight in, Saturday morning, diagnosed it as a fault sender. Changed it, cleaned car, (twas filthy after a drive through germany, Luxembourg etc), and returned it for £37 pounds. I sat in comfort whilst it was done and it didn't take long. They and their staff were excellent, (no affiliation by the way).

Current dealership in Bristol also friendly and efficient - just more expensive now I have the 330

You get good and bad - bad get trashed and never visited again. Good rarely get publicised.

Just my halfpenny.

Happy to be a BM bore !!
ex - Black/Black 330 coupe sport auto
now - 320d SE Touring
A step up in many ways; a step down in terms of 'street-cred'
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 08:30

Thanks Bodgit, now we have a dam good example of how things can go wrong, and how a dealer, or any other businesss could get very very upset at being critised in a public forum.

Especially a BMW dealer that gets critised on a forum that displays the BMW logo.

I dont for a moment doubt sennys experience, but I'm not sure how we could deal with this.

Duncans discount list was very different and just factual, do they offer discount to club members ( as they are supposed too ), or dont they.

Horsetan or jonners, you reading this ?

Any comments ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 11:12

As has been posted, one persons good experience with a dealer, can turn out to be anothers bad visit.So what do you do if a good becomes a bad?Do you give stars 1-5, and downgrade if bad reports?Who will keep this list updated?.Who will decide if a particular grievence is correct, sometimes the owner doesnt complain or talk to the service manager, Before leaving the Dealers.Ask to see the Dealer Principal, the buck stops with him.No luck??, So now its Bracknell Customer Relations, who have a zone manager to deal with a dispute.Dealers have a Contract with BMW GB, includes providing a Service, So if you dont get it, Complain.

NO dealer Discounts for Members, are cast in stone.Each dealer has the choice to give or not.Most want you to go back as a regular client, so ask for them.

SAFETYFAST
encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 14:25
I think the best thing for Senny to do is to write to BMW GB (if you find that the springs were mis-diagnosed) and make a formal complaint. It is difficult to fault a dealer or garage on one experience because it could be a bad mechanic or a mechanic on a bad day.

From my experiences with BMW (directly) in the past, they have been very reasonable and keen to sort out any issues which would give their vehicles a bad reputation.

Having said all that, I also think a list as ///M5 has provided a link for would be invaluable to anyone who is new in town or to M cars looking for recommendations. Afterall, it is only a recommendation site where people would be posting their thoughts/reviews, and it could only be good because it will keep all garages on their toes and to take their jobs seriously (not that they don't already).

I don't think there would be any legal implications if the moderators watch what is said. There could always be a new section and disclaimer protecting the club, or anyone who wants to post on that section has to be a member and therefore could be indentified should there be any problems. It would definitely make people think twice about false accusations and if claims are substatiated, what harm can come to the club.
94 E36 M3 Coupe
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 15:23
Nigel - I'm here....?
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 15:38

Wow, this is a subject which has a few people fired up.

My first comment is that a broken spring is not always easy to spot. One of the back springs on my car had snapped and it was only when the spring was removed that it was spotted. This was because only the top two coils had broken off and it could not easily be seen with the spring in place.

Second point is, as long as you stick to facts and not opinions then no one can get sued. For example senny could say:

'dealer diagnosed broken rear spring although a Nissan dealer could find nothing wrong. Dealer then replaced the rear springs and gave me the old ones they had removed.......'

This kind of thing is fine because all you are doing is relaying facts which cannot be disputed. However what you can't say is:

'Don't use them. They're a bunch of cowboys who dilliberately told me there was something wrong with my car in order to rip me off'

This kind of comment could get you and the club taken to court for slander. Don't forget that even if it is true you will have to prove it in a court of law. This will not only be expensive but it will do nothing for the relationship between the club and BMW dealers.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 15:46
WRT #2 it can become a very fine line though
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 16:05

Killain, I agree. Probably not worth going down this line. More trouble than it is worth. After all news papers employ legal people to check over what they write just in case, and even then they still get dragged through the courts

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 23:32

Its a great pity, but it seems to be heading the same way as last time it was discussed.

As far as moderators checking the posts first....we arent legal people, and are still open to getting it wrong.

Best Wishes

Nigel

steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2004 at 06:43
I think this has gone off subject again, people keep going on about being taken to court etc. This can only happen if you actually accuse someone of something, but what was being asked for was a simple list of reccomended dealers to look after your pride and joy, no comments. The best way of doing this is to feed all the names through one person and then allow them to post, this way you won't get any comments getting through that could lead to legal action, simple way to get a list that people can refer to when deciding where to take there car for servicing/ repair.
1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2004 at 21:46

Steve

Perhaps a contacts list ??

Best Wishes

Nigel

steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2004 at 09:50

Nigel, do you mean a dealer contact list, name and area they are in, if so then this is what most people would want, but we still need to feed this through someone so as 1) It could be posted, 2) no adverse comments made, 3) no legal mess, If this is what you are suggesting then I'm up for it, what do you other guys think, remember we've been through all the negative stuff, how about some positive comments, ( It's been a long and sometimes interesting thread, but about time it was put to bed ).

Thanx, steve.

1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic