Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsuspension or what else....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
toonraider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: suspension or what else....
    Posted: 30-July-2004 at 22:18
forgot to mention earlier, i also had the front and rear top mounts changed also. Bloody costly mind. The mechanic i use is very good and trustworthy, but to me it feels and sounds as if the control arms or subframe bushes or something similar because over bumps etc it the front of the car feels loose and unstable a little. The knock noise is not loud, just a deep rumble. Going back tomorrow for thorough check. But in the meantime.......help !!!!!
Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2004 at 20:40
When the shocks were changed did the garage you used check to see if the rubber spring pads were in good condition ? The uppers drivers side pad was perished on my car and I think this is what was causing a slight knocking on my car.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2004 at 22:13
poss supension top mount bushes or as miles as said it has not been put back together correctly.it might be worth booking it in a bmw,s and getting them to go over it for you that will cost you about £70.00 but could save you money in the long run

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2004 at 20:59
ok, i couldn`t put up  with the noise the front supension made  every time i went over a slight crack in the road so i stumped up the cash(again) to get the front shockers changed,inserts only, but still bilstien. So, new inserts and eibach springs, a little lighter in the back pocket area and...still bloody knocking. All other bushes have been checked and are fine and i even had the drop link bushes changed aswell. What could be causing all the aggro ?
jontunstall View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 11:35

Hi,

I had this problem on mine 520 touring, when I accidentally left off the concave washer which sits on the top of the strut below the top plate. it makes no noise until you go over a bump and then clunk.

Try sliding the rubber protectors down and see if you can see the washer? I dont know if you can but its wortha a look as it is easily missable - was for me anyway.

Good luck

jon

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 11:10

Thats sounds like a problem i had with another car it turned out to be the wheel bearings, i dont know if the same applies to bmw's but its worth a look.

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 09:25

yep. i even took it back to be re-checked and it was all fine. One thing tho is that when the car is on the hoist/ramp and you physically grab the wheel and lift it and then let go, one of them(drivers side) rests again with a bump/knock and the other side makes no noise. Thats why i thought that maybe the shocks may be on their way out.

Just a thought but could it be the subframe bushes, thats if its got one(total stab in the dark)?

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 23:09
Did the garage that carried out the work put the suspension back correctly and tighten all the nuts and bolts back up to the correct torque ? I assume you did not have this knocking before the front springs and suspension components were changed ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 21:18

can be wrong now?????

My 535 has just had new bilstien rear shocks and eibach springs and all is great(on the rear) altho a little spongy and wallowy still. Going by my mechanics advice the front shocks were sound so only the springs were replaced on the front. Now though every drain in the road etc and even getting onto my drive creates a heavy knocking sound from the front and sometimes i even feel it through the steering column!!!! Do you think that maybe the front shocks are a little soft??

I even had the anti roll bar drop links and front and rear top mounts and upper control arm bushings changed at the same time. I`m not a happy chap and not exactly the governor of the bank of England.!!!

I need some help guys..........please.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic